Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Dooms Day Adventure





I felt the urge to write up my story about my "Doom's Day" adventure, then realized it's been weeks since I've had that feeling. It's been a long time since I've blogged. This story is worth sharing.

December 21st, 2012.. the day the Mayans predicted the world would end. It was on a Friday, so like usual, I drove to Decatur right after I got off of work at 5. I still can't see my best at night, so driving home was stressful in all that Friday evening traffic. I finally got to Birmingham about 7:30 and traffic came to a stand still about a mile or so from "Malfunction Junction". I could see smoke coming from two cars and a gas tanker truck turned on it's side taking up every single lane. The wreck just happened. I was about ten rows of cars back. I sat in my car for about 15 minutes thinking about how bad I had to pee and how I should've pulled over before getting to Birmingham. I'm just sitting there, talking on the phone and trying to shift over a lane a few inches so the ambulance can get through to the accident. Well... all of a sudden... I see people turning off their cars and running... RUNNING.

 
 
A girl runs up to my car, taps on the window, and shouts, "GET OUT OF THE CAR! IT'S ABOUT TO BLOW!!"
 
...OMG. REALLY? It's like 27 degrees outside, I'm wearing a dress, no jacket, and I have to pee. So, I get out and start running. Derrick's at work so I can't call him and have a panic attack... this is too much for me to handle by myself. I am literally half a mile from my car, shivering, and begging for someone to tell me what to do. I am so glad that I made the decision to not change in to my Hello Kitty onesie pajamas before driving home. I would have been the first person the news people would interview just because of how ridiculous I looked. For example:
 
 
I stood around and talked to different people for about 20 minutes. One guy said, "If it was really about to blow up, don't you think they would shut down 65 South?" As soon as he said that, traffic came to a halt on 65 South... Oh crap. If you haven't driven in downtown Birmingham on 65, the interstate is nothing but a concrete overpass for miles. So, if this tanker holding 8,000 gallons of fuel decides to blow, the road has a potential to collapse. Yea, the whole End of the World idea kind of whirled around in my mind.
 
I finally got the courage to ask the emergency worker if it was okay to get back in my car because I was about to freeze to death and I wasn't about to get in some random person's car. He said that I could start my way back to my car because the the people who were 10 rows in front of me were going to have to be evacuated. They would have to leave their cars and be bussed to a central location so they could clean up the accident safely. I ran to my car as fast as I could so I could turn the heat on. The cop waves at me and tells me to put my car into reverse and do a u-turn as soon as the cars behind me are gone. I am doing a 3 point turn in the middle of the interstate in downtown Birmingham, then driving toward traffic trying to find my way to an on ramp where cars get on the interstate... I'm going down.
 
Now, I'm lost. I still have to pee. I pull over to the nearest gas station on the wronnng side of town. Sketchy establishment. Then, I drive around for an hour and a half trying to find my way back on to the interstate. This is insane. I am dead tired, and I have 15% left on my battery on my phone. I finally make my to I-20 and get back on 65. I finally make it home about 10pm. I have never wanted someone in the car with me so bad just to help reassure me of every decision I was making. Here's a link to to story.
 
Did you have a Doomsday experience of your own? What would you have done if you were me?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment